Sunday, June 07, 2009

Find Some Suffering...


...and do something about it.That was what our pastor Lanny spoke on in church this morning.Look around you for hurting souls and help them.Pray for them.Love them like Jesus would.Easy?No way.Worthwhile?Definitely, according to a gal in our church family who has opened up the front porch of her home to the local homeless population in her neighborhood.For myself much of the service was spent really listening and fighting back tears.Occasionally they slipped out with utter abandon.:-)And what about the poor and suffering beyond our own community,our own nation?I believe the next Sunday or two is going to focus on Compassion International,a ministry that helps many of the world's poorest children.I look forward to this as I have had a heart for this particular ministry for a long time and hope that perhaps we may sponsor a child.We'll see.If I was a single woman and had the funds I definitely would.Being married one must consider the spouse and make this a matter of prayer that involves both people.Oddly enough,over the years I have had more of a heart for the suffering of those living abroad.Not that I am calloused to those here.I just see what appears to be greater needs beyond our own backyard.And I am determined to somehow put feet to prayers prayed.:-)It was good to gather at church today.We'd missed much church recently due to illness and other issues.And therefore I am glad to be well and gathering with this local body of believers once again.
Blessings~Sharon

14 comments:

Unknown said...

I have a daughter that feels the same way. She has worked for a Christian humanitarian org. and hear a lot about the needs around the world and she has been to Africa and saw it first hand so she feels they are so much more needy.

Sharon Goemaere said...

Hello Linda!
Good to see you here.Wow...that must have been quite the experience for your daughter.Awhile ago a local TV Station did a segment on the suffering in Nicaragua.I wept through the whole thing...What organization does your daughter work with?Blessings~Sharon

ruth at comfort cafe said...

Sharon, I so agree with you. I've always been more focused on the "greater need." What a touching post.

Unknown said...

She worked for World Concern but doesn't now. Yes it was a wonderful experience she was there for a couple of weeks.

Unknown said...

I hope you enjoy the books. I'd be interested if you have read some others. Linda

oma aka meme said...

yes- we can bless one another in so many ways - it is good to pray but even better to be an answer to some one's prayer- thank you for reading my blog- hugs from Meme

Sharon Goemaere said...

Ruth:
So good to see you here again!Glad there is another like me out there.:-)There were times I felt guilt over being this way but then I realized it is probably just how God wired me so I have accepted this part of my unique design.There really is so much better access to help in this country than many other countries have...Blessings~Sharon

Sharon Goemaere said...

Thanks for letting me know Linda about World Concern.I cannot imagine what it would be like to actually visit some of these places.Life changing I imagine!Blessings~Sharon

Sharon Goemaere said...

Hi Linda~
I am enjoying my current library reads immensely.So many books,so little time...Blessings~Sharon

Sharon Goemaere said...

Amen Meme!Amen!So good to see you here!Thanks for stopping by and commenting!Love you~Sharon

Flutterby Patch said...

Greetings from England. Thanks for popping into my 'Flutterby Patch' Sharon. You live in a beautiful State (love your pics). It is impossible for us 'haves' to experience how it must be for the 'have nots'. The regular TV reports about the plight of Africa break my heart. If only there was a quick fix but sadly there isn't and so we must all do whatever we can to help in our own small way. Happy weekend to you all in Oregon. Eli

Denise said...

I have traveled around the world twice and seen many things that are burned in my brain..... We here in the land of the blessed have no idea of the suffering of the world. We all should have the experience of being apart of something bigger than ourselves.

Sharon Goemaere said...

Yes Eli!Amen!We all must do what we can.Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving comment.Oregon is indeed a beautiful state.But I must confess that I find your lovely England quite beautiful as well.I have not been in person but will watch or read just about anything related to your lovely country.I am English on my mom's side(She was a Spencer at birth).Bless you~Sharon

Sharon Goemaere said...

Amen Denise!I had no idea you were so well traveled!Bless you~Sharon